It doesn’t want us to fail: bad for our ego; others will laugh at us; we’ll look weak and foolish – better not to fail.
But the only way not to fail is not to try something new – the gremlin knows this.
Every time we’re faced with a ‘change’ situation (such as a training course) it whispers into our ear: –
- “That doesn’t apply to us”
- “We don’t have the time to try that”
- “Let’s not, we might fail”
- “Now isn’t the right time for us”
- “We already do that”
- And, then the day after we decided to give it a go “On second thoughts…”
If you want to learn and change and improve my advice is lock up your gremlin.
It likes the status quo just fine – question is: do you?